This is Part 2 of the 3 part Series: Overcoming Procrastination for Pre Nursing Majors.
Here are my Tips on Overcoming Procrastination:
- Quit Facebook. There’s no time for a pre nursing major to get on there anyway. That’s what led me to start this blog, to have a place to brain vomit all of the cool micro stuff I was learning, without getting sucked into the Facebook world. Posting the information I learn does help me to learn. Facebook just wasn’t an effective outlet for posting pictures of my bacteria cultures, but my blog is.
- Use a static or autopilot schedule, which has in place fixed times to complete regularly scheduled study activities.
- Make it a rule to start tasks 24 hours from the day they are assigned.
- Give yourself 20% more time to complete tasks. Then, when you finish early, go ahead/get a jump-start.
- Turn off your phone alerts while you are working
- Understand that anxiety is at the root of procrastination. Procrastination is usually a sign of the fear of failure.
- Consider what God said in Matthews 6:26: Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? This very powerful message says that God provides what the Raven needs, in spite of the fact that the Raven doesn’t worry or plan for his own future. God goes on to say that he holds you up higher than the raven. I really love verse 27, too, where God asks the rhetorical question: Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? This means that worrying doesn’t give you any benefit, not one cubit.
- Grin and Bear the Necessary Evil Tasks.
- Try the ice bath method: 1. Do a half hour of brainstorming. Paper, pen or computer plus caffeine. 2. Later on the same day, Take 1 hour to set foundation of what you will focus on when you work hard. 3. Wait at least one day to do the first multi hour push on a project. This works with any project that is too large to be done in 1-2 hrs, but too small to be placed on the autopilot schedule.
We’re all short on time but still need to earn great grades to be able to get into nursing school. Learn More, Study Less: The Video Course could be your key to earning excellent grades to get into the nursing school of your dreams. Click here to learn more about how it can help you!